Today I drilled out the last few spot welds holding the rear left quarter panel on and removed it. This is a big job and it's easy to get impatient and make a mess of things. I will need to re-use the upper half of the rear quarter panels so I took my time and spread the work out over the past couple of weeks. I'm quite satisfied with the result. Removing the panels was not absolutely essential as I could have simplified things by cutting away the lower half only, but in order to have full access to the outer wheel well and rear tray for repairs and rust removal, I felt that this was the most effective approach.
 |
| This rear tray area is not available from supplier so and i'll need to fabricate a replacement |
 |
| Outer Wheel Well/House: Believe it or not, this is the better of the two |
 |
| Thankfully the rust damage to inner rocker is minor |
 |
| This channel is hidden away but quite vulnerable to rusting from within. It's important to gain access to every surface to best treat the metal and prevent rusting in the future. Acid dipping will dissolve this kind of hidden rust but it is impossible to actually treat and seal it unless you open it up completely. I want this car to last at least another 48 years and turn some heads along the way. |
I love your depth and detail, and I think the videos are a great addition to the blog. Keep ‘em coming!
ReplyDeleteThanks!, I'm new to making videos so I'm trying to improve with each posting.
DeleteHey Ben!
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time seeing your project underway! Super excited to see your progress, keep up the good work!