Body Prep and Lots of Grinding

It feels great to finally see the bare metal

 This stage of the restoration includes removing all necessary paint, undercoat and rust from the body.  I have chosen to perform this work at home rather that have the car shipped out for media blasting.  

Today's post is kind of a hodgepodge of panel and rust removal:  



I'm working carefully to expose every bit of hidden rust for repair.  All the typical rust patterns are present on this car so it's time these repairs were made properly.  While grinding the paint and rust away I discovered various body repairs where body filler was used.  In most areas where body filler was present, the rusting was made worse as a result and it was quite evident that the filler was used to cut corners and simply bury any damage.  






I ran a few tests on the undercoat to determine the best process for removing it.  I find that a 20 minute saturation with aircraft stripper followed up by a good scraping with a 1.5" trowel and a buff down with the knot brush on the grinder works very well.  I purchased the least expensive grinder ($39.99, Skil) at Canadian Tire because I expect to be quite hard on it.  So far so good.  


/
I need a name for this bit.  The armpit?

Fire sale on rust, all rust must go!

With the drivers side outer rocker removed, the inner rocker shares its secrets

My new favourite :)




  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Removing Panels

Tilting Jig / Body Cart Combo Build

Exterior Disassembly Pt.2 (Final) + Engine and Suspension Removal Pt.1