 |
| The Transmission is Out |
Datsun really went the extra mile to simplify everything on the 240, especially the transmission mount and bell housing bolt pattern. Just 4 bolts connect engine and transmission and all are easily accessible, so much so that I was confused for a while as I couldn't really believe that was all there was to it. I was sure I missed a hidden bolt somewhere but no, it's just that straight forward. Another 2 bolts connect to the mounts and with those gone, the transmission is free to drop easily. The drive shaft is only connected to the transmission by a slip joint and will slid out and dump fluid everywhere if you aren't ready to catch it...
 |
| Complete Rear Suspension Removed |
Dropping the rear suspension complete was a treat. It's not so clear a removal as the transmission but pretty intuitive. About 10 or 12 fasteners plus brake and e-brake lines, need to come off before it can be lowered on a jack. I placed a 2x6 board (see photo above) between the lower arms to hold it steady which worked well.
 |
| After some various efforts I discovered this very effective method for chipping the bitumen away about 1 sq. inch at a time. Hold a flat long handled screwdriver at about 45º to the surface and hit sharply (not tap). |
 |
| All the bitumen insulation is out of the cabin |
 |
| Nothing like exposing the inner workings of a thing |
Just stunned at how skilled you are. This blog is such a fun read to follow. Way to go man!
ReplyDelete